Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Survival

        “You’ve shut yourself away from everyone.”
        “And what would your point be?”
        “It’s not healthy.”
        “It’s not your business.”
        “I don’t see why you’re like this.”
        “I don’t see why you should care.”
        “I’m a friend.”
        “You’re an acquaintance.”
        “That’s cold.”
        “Adapt.”
        “Adapt?”
        “Yes.”
        “Along the lines of, ‘Get used to it’?”
        “Yes.”
        “I don’t want to adapt.”
        “Then you won’t survive.”
        “How can you say I won’t survive?”
        “Only the strong survive.”
        “Is that why you’re so cold?”
        “That is why I will survive.”
        “And as long as I know how to live—”
        “Don’t start that rubbish with me.”
        ”I’m trying to make you laugh.”
        “You do so in vain.”
        “You didn’t used to be like this.”
        “People change.”
        “They adapt?”
        “Yes.”
        ”I think I’d rather die than become like         you.”
        “That would your prerogative, then.”
        “You want me to die?”
        “No.”
        “But you just said that it’s my choice.”
        “I don’t want you to die. But if you want to die, there’s nothing much I can do about it.”
        “You can stop me.”
        “If you want to die, you’ll find different ways to kill yourself.”
        “Like slit my wrists?”
        “Or hang yourself.”
        “Overdose.”
        “Starvation.”
        “Step in front of a train.”
        “Shut yourself away from the world.”
        “What did you just say?”
        “Nothing of any relevance to the conversation.”
        “Do you want to die?”
        “Sometimes.”
        “Right now?”
        “Yes.”

No comments: